What a life!

Canberra Man

What a life!

Post by Canberra Man »

Hi.
Prior to my RAF service started in 1950, I did my NS in the Royal Artillery on 3.7 ack ack, 1948, did two practice camps when we actually fired the monsters. Took part in the Bristol dock strike in 1949 for 8 weeks, hard work! Became Battery Clerk on 117 battery, the regiment was 46 (M) HAA. After demob, I was only back in civvy street for three months,when I signed on in the RAF. Trained as Elec Mech Air and was posted to 617 Squadron at RAF Binbrook. They were flying Avro Lincolns then and 6 months later we received the English Electric Canberra B2 When we received the B6, we took them to Malaya, dropping 1,000lb bombs on the terrs. After demob in 1956, I worked for Cherry Valley Farms,they produced oven ready duckling. I stayed with them for 30 years becoming electrical supervisor. Was 7 years with the Grimby Consabulary as a Special Constable. 30 Years with air cadets as a Warrant Officer, received the Long Service Medal and Clasp and The Commandants Commendation. My wife and I spent 30 years breeding miniature poodles, we have just reared our last litter and kept a beautiful little black bitch. I think I had an interesting time but I must say, the RAF beat the Army hands down in everything.

Ken